For the conduction of Volleyball events the rules defined by Federation Internationale De Volleyball for the year 2015 – 2016 shall be used. All the participants are advised to go through the rules. The pdf document can be downloaded from FIVB_Volleyball_Rules_2015-2016_EN
The excerpts of the rules are as follows:
- The Serve
- Server must serve from behind the end line until after contact.
- Ball may be served underhand or overhand.
- Ball must be clearly visible to opponents before serve.
- Served ball may graze (touch) the net and drop to the other side for point.
- First game serve is determined by a volley, each subsequent game shall be served by the previous game loser.
- Serve must be returned by a bump only, no setting or attacking a serve.
- Rally scoring will be used.
- There will be a point scored on every score of the ball.
- Offense will score on a defensive miss or our of bounds hit.
- Defense will score on an offensive miss, out of bounds hit, or serve into the net.
- Game will be played to 25 points.
- Must win by 2 points difference.
- Team will rotate each time they win the serve.
- Players shall rotate in a clockwise manner.
- Playing the Game
- Maximum of three hits per side.
- Player may not hit the ball twice in succession (A block is not considered a hit)
- Ball may be played off the net during a volley and on serve.
- A ball touching a boundary line is good.
- A legal hit is contact with the ball be a player body which does not allow the ball to visibly come to a rest.
- If two or more players contact the ball simultaneously, it is considered one play and the players involved may not participate in the next play.
- A player must not block or attack a serve.
- Switching positions will be allowed only between front line players. (After the serve only).
- Basic Rule Violations
- Stepping on or over the line on a serve.
- Failure to serve the ball over the net successfully.
- Hitting the ball illegally (carrying, palming, throwing, etc.)
- Touches of the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play. If the ball is driven into the net with such force that it causes the net to contact an opposing player, no foul will be called, and the ball shall continue to be in play.
- Reaching over the net, except under these conditions:
- when executing a follow-through
- when blocking a ball which is in the opponents court but is being returned (the blocker must not contact the ball until after the opponent who is attempting to return the ball makes contact)
- Reaches under the net (if it interferes with the ball or opposing player)
- Failure to serve in the correct order
- Blocks or spikes from a position which is clearly not behind the 10-feet line while in a back row position.
If there are any deviation the document of the Federation Internationale De Volleyball Rules 2015-2016 shall be referred.
Frequently asked questions and their answers are as follows:
Q 1. Can I touch the volleyball in leg?
Answer: The ball may touch any part of the body (which includes leg). Also, it is not mandatory that after hitting with leg the ball must go over the net to the other side.
Q 2. If the opponent hist shot and the ball touches shoulder, chest or back of player of other team and rises up and returns back after crossing over the net, does the play continue?
Answer: Yes the play continues.
Q 3. Is it correct or foul to block or spike the ball which is served?
Answer: No player is permitted to complete an attack hit on the opponent’s service, when the ball is in the front zone and entirely higher than the top of the net.